Kitchen

Monday, December 8, 2008

STUFFING

Have you ever noticed how many variations to Stuffing are in cook books? My mom always made the same stuffing every year she used crackers and it was wonderful ( I'll post it later) but this year I wanted to experiment,My Husbands family always made Oyster dressing, he does not like it and neither do I ( I just can't see putting oysters inside my turkey) Don't get me wrong I love oysters just not in my turkey!
So I kept seeing all the Bob Evans commercials on TV and the sage sausage stuffing sounded really good so I thought I would give it a try. It was very good I only used 1/2 of the sausage it called for when I made it and I used 1/2 seasoned bread cubes and 1/2 corn bread cubes. Safe to say I can use this again we enjoyed it but something was missing so I guess I'll go back to Moms cracker stuffing again just didn't seem like thanksgiving without it.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 (1 pound) package Bob Evans® Sage Sausage Roll( I used 1/2 of the sausage roll)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 6 celery stalks, finely diced
  • 2 medium onions, finely diced
  • 1 (12 ounce) package herb flavor stuffing mix (I used 1/2 herb flavor and 1/2 corn bread)
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth( I used the broth from cooking my neck and giblets)

DIRECTIONS

  1. In large skillet, crumble and cook sausage until browned. Remove from pan. In same skillet melt butter over medium heat. Saute celery and onions until softened, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine celery, onions, sausage, stuffing mix, cranberries and salt. Add the broth and stir until well combined. If desired, loosely stuff some of the mixture into a turkey just before roasting. Place the rest of stuffing mix into a casserole dish. Cover and bake in a 325 F. oven for 1 hour or until hot.
Enjoy!!
Allison
Allisons Kitchen

No comments: