Kitchen

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Whiskey Peppercorn Sauce






Our wedding Anniversary came and went this year with not much fanfare, Covid -19 lock down was still in place, so we cooked out a nice steak, made my Aunt Dorthy's  Cheesy Au Gratin potatoes and had our Whiskey Peppercorn Sauce to go with the steak, oh and a bottle of bubbly, cant forget that!
Unfortunately I didn't have all the ingredients but hey, we're all learning to adapt right?

So here is the original recipe and on the side What i used, it still turned out Amazing.

4 Tablespoons butter divided. ( I had that, LOL)

1 Tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed. ( well all I had was one of those throw away pepper grinders so I just kept grinding till I had 1 Tab.)

2 Large Shallots, peeled and chopped. (I had 2 small garlic cloves and 1 scallion).

1/4 Cup of Whiskey (Well duh I had that!)

1/3 Cup of heavy cream (I used 1/3 cup of half and half and 1 Tab of corn starch)

So melt 1/2 of your butter over med low heat, add peppercorns, add Shallots you don't want to brown anything just cook a few minutes till fragrant.

Now this is IMPORTANT Remove the pan from the heat then add your Whiskey, (you don't want to have to call the fire department).

Reduce the sauce a little, Then add your Heavy cream. cook on low for a few minutes till it starts to thicken up.  You can remove the sauce from the heat at this point and finish your Steak,
As you steak rests,  heat the sauce very low and add the last of the butter stirring till silky smooth,  keep warm till your ready to plate the Steaks.  If the sauce starts getting to thick add a smidgen of cream.
Enjoy!
Allison

No comments: